Sunday, December 28, 2008
This is the Anglican cathedral in Rangoon designed by Robert Fellowes Chisholm. Seemingly transplanted from England - but note the adaptation to the tropics in the porte-cochere at the base of the tower to shelter worshippers from the rain.
Although the foundation stone had been laid in 1886 by the then Viceroy of India Lord Dufferin, due to a shortage of funds it took 9 years to complete the church vestibule. The spire was added in 1913 and the bell tower installed in the following year.
During the Japanese Occupation of Rangoon, the cathedral was used as a brewery! After liberation, the chapel was dedicated to the British/Indian 14th and 12th Armies who fought in the Burma Campaign